Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 2 @ WVU

We had a pretty rough night, lots of contractions and I continued to dilate to between a 4 and 5.  Everything settled down around 330 AM and has been quiet since then.  The baby looks great on the monitor and on ultrasound.  Her kidneys are working great so she is replacing the fluid I am losing and she hasn't shown any signs of distress yet. 




The staff here is amazing, everyone has been so nice and gone out of their way to explain things 2 and 3 times.  I know we are in the best place. 



My high risk OB has explained that we have two goals:  Short Term, we wanted the baby to stay in for 48 hours to get some ABXs and steroids.  As of 1 PM today we will meet that goal.  Long Term, they want the baby to stay in until 34 weeks.  This is less likely, most babies are delivered within a week of water breaking, but still an overall goal.  We got our second dose of steroids and lost the magnesium sulfate at 130 today.  Now, if I go back into labor we will deliver.  If not, they will keep me admitted here until I go into labor or reach 34 weeks, whatever comes first.

We met with the NICU today who advised us to at a minimum be prepared for a feeding tube to give her breast milk, since she wont be able to suck and breathe at the same time and some oxygen though nasal cannula.  Of course there are lots of other possible complications but they advised us it was nothing to worry about until it happened.  Regardless, the baby will have to stay here at Ruby until she reaches full term and is breathing and eating with no problems

I miss my little birdie and can't even imagine what she is going to think when she finally gets to see us.  I'm also used to big fat bambinos, so I'm extra nervous about a tiny baby in the NICU with tubes and wires.  I think I've mentioned it before but nurses are terrible patients.  We are taking it minute by minute and are so thankful for everyone praying for us and this miracle babe.  Hopefully we have some good news to pass along soon! 

And I don't think I mentioned what amazing friends we have.  Cait and Laura have been taking such good care of me while my mom has her carpal tunnel surgery -- they bought me tons of necessities and goodies, and even painted my toes!  Now that's true love. 


 

1 comment: